Golden Visa in Spain. We explain everything you need to know about the Residence for Investors. Documentation. Deadlines. Lawyer expert in Immigration Law.

Golden Visa in Spain. Residence for investors.

There are different types of visas and residence permits to live and/or work in Spain. Non-Lucrative Visa. Digital Nomads Visa. Student Visa. Etc. Depending on the personal circumstances of each individual, it may be more convenient to apply for one type of visa or another. In this week’s article we analyse in detail the requirements and documentation necessary to obtain the Visa for Investors, also known as Golden Visa in Spain.

Golden Visa in Spain: what exactly does it consist of?

Approved in 2013, the Golden Visa is a type of visa or residency that seeks to attract large investors to our country. This visa offers several advantages. It authorises you to reside and work in our country (either as an employee or self-employed). It grants complete freedom of movement within the Schengen area. And allows the applicant to bring his/her family members (partner or children) with him/her by means of a joint application, etc. When applied for from Spain, the initial duration of residence will be 3 years.

Requirements to obtain the Golden Visa in Spain.

In order to apply for the Golden Visa, you must meet a series of requirements:

– Be of legal age (over 18 years old).

– Not be banned from entering Spain.

– Proof of having sufficient economic means for the period of residence in Spain (400% of the IPREM – Public Indicator of Multiple Effects Income, per year). 

– Having a public or private health insurance, and not suffering any of the contagious diseases listed in the International Health Regulations of 2005.

– Not having a criminal record in the country or countries where the applicant has resided for the last 5 years.

– Making an investment of €500,000 or more in real estate in Spain.

Specific documentation required to obtain the Golden Visa in Spain.

When submitting the application, in addition to paying the corresponding fee, you must present the following documentation:

1. Recent passport-size photograph with a white background.

2. Valid passport. It must be valid for at least one year. And have at least two blank pages.

3. Non-criminal record certificate issued by the countries in which you have resided for the last 5 years.

4. Proof of financial means can be provided by any legally valid means of proof. A certificate of average balance issued by a bank. Proof of receiving sufficient income such as a periodic pension, rents, shares. Etc.

5. A certificate from an insurance company confirming that you have subscribed a health insurance policy of at least one year’s duration, with no waiting periods, etc.

6. There are several options for accrediting the acquisition of the property, depending on whether or not the purchase has been completed. In general, this is usually accredited by means of a certificate of ownership and encumbrances issued by the Land Registry.

7. Certificate prepared by a registered medical practitioner confirming that you do not suffer from any of the contagious diseases listed in the International Health Regulations 2005.

Noteworthy. Sworn translations and Hague Apostille or legalisation.

Any document that is not in our language must be translated into Spanish by a sworn translator duly registered in Spain. In addition, documents issued by the authorities of another country (criminal record certificates, the marriage certificate of the two applicants, a certificate from the UK Pensions Department, etc.) must be apostilled or legalised in order to be valid in Spain.


If you wish to reside in Spain and in Europe, and you are interested in applying for the Golden Visa or Residence for Investors, do not hesitate to contact us. We will study your case and offer you expert legal advice.

The information provided in this article is not intended to be legal advice, but merely conveys information relating to legal issues.

Carlos Baos (Lawyer)

White & Baos.

Tel: +34 966 426 185


White & Baos 2023 – All Rights Reserved.

You may be interested in the following services and articles:


Obtaining Spanish nationality. Marriage to a Spanish national. Residence in Spain. Legal procedure.

Digital Nomad Visa in Spain. Everything you need to know. Requirements. Tax benefits. Necessary documentation. Legal advice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *