Obtaining residence in Spain. The Temporary Non-lucrative visa. Right to reside without working.

Residency in Spain without the right to work. (Non-Profit)


It is a type of Visa or residency aimed at non-European citizens (not from the European Economic Area nor Switzerland). It authorises them to reside temporarily in Spain, without carrying out any work activity. That is, it is a residency without working and is regulated in Law 4/2000, and Regulation 557/2011.

In addition, it is a temporary residency authorisation; therefore, it must be renewed. Likewise, and unlike the residence for investors, or Golden Visa, it is not necessary to make an investment.

The fundamental idea is to prove that you have enough means to stay in Spain and it can be the first starting point, for obtaining a work permit, or change nationality.


To be eligible for this residency or visa, it is essential to meet a series of requirements:

– Not be illegally or improperly in Spain.

– You should not have a criminal record

– Not being prohibited from entering Spain

– Have the ability and sufficient financial means to live in Spain. Which means:

-Monthly at least in 400 per cent of the IPREM, (€564.90 for the year 2021) That is, the monthly amount of €2,259.60, which means at least €27,115.20 annually

-In addition, for each dependent family members, 100 per cent of the IPREM must be added and for 2021 the amount is €564.90.

-You must have health or medical insurance, with full coverage in Spain.

– You must not suffer from any of the diseases that can have serious public health repercussions.


You must start with the application in person, outside of Spain. The place of presentation being the Spanish Consulate in the country where you reside.

The corresponding fees must be paid and the necessary documentation must be provided.

After obtaining it, you must enter Spain, and here request the Foreigner Identity Card (TIE)

Other matters of interest

In principle, it does not allow work in Spain (Residency without working), but it does in third countries.

– You can also invest, study, etc.

-Once obtained, you can travel freely through the Schengen territory

Contact us.

You could also follow us in facebook.

The information provided in this article is not intended to be legal advice, it merely conveys information related to legal issues.

The information provided in this article is not intended to be legal advice, it merely conveys information related to legal issues.

Carlos Baos (Lawyer)

White & Baos

Tel: +34 966 426 185

E-mail: info@white-baos.com

White & Baos 2021- All Rights Reserved.

9 thoughts on “Obtaining residence in Spain. The Temporary Non-lucrative visa. Right to reside without working.

  1. Hello,

    Would the non-lucrative visa be granted to a native British citizen on a British passport who has resided in the Netherlands for a number of years?

    1. Thank you for your messagel.
      In Spain, it is necessary that the applicant is not living in irregular way in Spain. So, if you are living in Netherlands, and you apply for the Spanish Non Lucrative Visa, and you match with the conditions, you could apply for it.

  2. Hello Carlos, hope you are well. You may remember you acted for us on the purchase of our house in Moraira and the plot next door, and our Wills. We are still resident in UK, but spend about 6 months in Spain, coming and going. The 90 days in 180 days post-Brexit rule could be a problem for us so we are wondering if the Temporary Non-Lucrative Residency would be good for us, as we do meet all the requirements. However, would it mean we have to pay Spanish tax, as we are paying tax in England and will need to continue doing so?

    1. Dear Mr and Mrs Casey, thank you for your message.
      Yes, we remember you, and it is nice to hear from you. We hope that all is OK.
      Yes, I am sure that you will meet the requirements to become if you want, resident in Spain as per the Non Lucrative Visa.
      About being considered tax resident or not, we need to check your case in detail.
      Although be resident (permit to stay in Spain), it is not the same of being tax resident.

      It the Spanish taxman will normally consider you tax resident if you spend more than 183 days per year in Spain, or you have your main economic interests in Spain, etc.
      We can study your case if you want.
      You could send us an email to info@white-baos.com, or give us a call.
      Nice to hear from you, best regards,

  3. Hi Carlos.
    Does the annual income have to be shown to be coming into a Spanish bank account, or can I simply prove that annual pensions arrive in my UK bank account?

    1. Thank you for your message. Normally will need to be shown a balance during certain period of time in your Spanish bank account

  4. Hi Carlos
    The amount to be invested in your Spanish bank account is this per person or is there a joint amount for a married couple that would be less than two single amounts?
    We are aiming to move to our Spanish home in fuengirola October 2021 – all things COVID considered and want to prepare our finances before we arrive. Thank you

    1. The amounts required are higher depending on the family members applying for the Visa. On the article above, states the fix amount required, and how much more is asked for per extra family member. Regards

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: