Visa to study in Spain. Everything you need to know about the Spanish Student Visa. Requirements. Documents. Deadlines. Legal advice

Visa to study in Spain. Requirements.

Spain is undoubtedly one of the most attractive countries to study in. The climate, the possibility of learning the language and the quality of our universities makes our country a unique destination. In today’s article we go over the requirements to apply for and obtain a visa to study in Spain. Documents. Deadlines. And the most important aspects of the Spanish Student Visa, when applied for directly from Spain. You can check a Student Visa recently obtained for one of our clients by clicking here.

What does the student visa in Spain consist of?.

The visa to study in Spain allows its holder to stay in Spain for the duration of his/her studies either in public or private educational centres. It is worth noting that students from other EU countries, the European Economic Area or Switzerland do not need to apply for the Spanish Student Visa. In other words, this authorisation is only applicable to non-EU citizens.

How can I apply for a Student Visa in Spain?.

There are two ways to apply for a visa to study in Spain. In person, at the Foreigners’ Office of the province where the study centre is located. Or through the “Mercurio platform.”, electronically, by means of a digital certificate. At White-Baos Lawyers we submit this type of application electronically, with the digital certificate of the Bar Association of Alicante. This makes the process quicker and easier for our clients, who only need to provide us with the documentation properly scanned via email. Without queues or waiting lists to obtain a face-to-face appointment. 

What documentation is required to submit the application?.

If you want to obtain a visa to study in Spain, you will need to present the following documents:

1.- Official form EX00, duly completed (Our office will prepare, fill in and sign this form for you).

2.- A complete copy of your valid passport or travel document.

3.- Documentation accrediting that you are in a regular situation in Spain, and that the application is submitted at least one month before the expiry date of this situation.

4.- Public or private health insurance.

5.- Enrolment, letter of admission or certificate from the educational centre where the student is admitted.

6.- Proof of financial means for the period requested and for the return to the country of origin.

It is important to note that, when the duration of the studies is longer than 180 days, in addition to the above, it will also be necessary to provide:

(a) Criminal record certificate, issued in the country in which you have resided for the last 5 years.

b) Medical Certificate certifying that you do not suffer from any serious illness in accordance with the provisions of the International Health Regulations of 2005.

Please note that, in this last scenario (studies that exceed 6 months) once the Spanish Student Visa has been granted, it will be necessary for you to apply personally for a TIE Card (Foreigner Identity Card).

How long does it take to obtain the Student Visa in Spain?.

In principle, and depending on the case, the maximum period can be one month. In practice, however, waiting times are longer. Due to the saturation of the Foreigners’ Offices, there is a certain delay in responding to visa applications.

Does the student visa also allow me to work during my stay in Spain?.

Yes, the visa to study in Spain also allows to work, either self-employed or as an employee, up to a maximum of 30 hours per week in Spain. This authorisation to work, in principle, won’t have a geographical limitation. In other words, it will be extended to the entire national territory, for the duration of the authorisation to study.

At White-Baos we are specialists in Immigration Law. If you or any of your non-EU family members wish to study in Spain, please do not hesitate to contact us, we will help you with your application of the Spanish Student Visa.

The information provided in this article is not intended as legal advice, but simply conveys information related to legal issues.

Carlos Baos (Lawyer)

White & Baos.

Tel: +34 966 426 185


White & Baos 2023 – All Rights Reserved.

You may be interested in the following services and articles:

Obtaining residence visa or permits in Europe. Golden visa for foreign investors in Spain
Digital Nomad Visa in Spain. Everything you need to know. Requirements. Tax benefits. Necessary documentation. Legal advice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *